4.4.11

Caricarchitecture

I have been rummaging through my photos from London (as I still haven't finished processing them), and came across this photo which I had intended to share:


Do you recognise the architect/building?

It is a caricature bust of Sir Edwin Landseer (what a middle name!) Lutyens.  It is part of the Architecture collection at the Victoria & Albert Museum.

And the building? The Viceroy's House!  Does anyone else remember this from Culture? Nowadays the building is the official residence of the President of India.


Here is the description from the V&A object database:

Lutyens designed the Viceroy's House (now Rashtrapati Bhavan) in New Delhi from 1913 to 1931. This bust was made in his Delhi office and includes an architectural model for a 'chattri', or roof feature, on the house. It stood for many years above a doorway in Lutyens's London office.

Some day, I too may want a caricarchitecture model over my office doorway...

0 comments:

Post a Comment