11.10.10

Escaping Reality

Considering this is my final semester of university (let's assume for now that I am not going to do a PhD any time soon), I have been playing more games and reading more fiction than I should. I've probably been playing games more than any other semester so far! This is probably not a good thing. (So when I say I've not been working that hard and LW is also surprised that I'm not working that hard this close to the end, please believe me!)

However it provides a good hour or two of escape and in that sense is quite useful. I have also been amused how much these games and fiction books that I have been indulging in have been affecting my dreams. I enjoy feeling like my life is slightly more trippy because of these fiction worlds I'm holding in my mind and have occasionally wondered what it would be like to do a dissertation on fiction (although I suppose most of our work is technically fictional).

On the other hand, the world of fiction can also provide one with some valuable life post-it notes to help one through dissertation, which for me have included:

- Try and try again until you get it right (The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom)

- Sometimes you need to explain yourself in reverse chronology (Braid)

- Stick together to survive (Left 4 Dead 2)

- Keep your blade sharp - why not use a katana or machete? (Left 4 Dead 2)

- When I am an architect, I shall wear midnight. (I Shall Wear Midnight - Terry Pratchett)

- Sometimes what you are looking for is hiding in a pile of white stuff (Shaun the Sheep - Aardman Animations)

- Go with grey and a hint of colour. Too much colour can ruin it for everyone. (Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde)

- You can and will change your mind...but you will also adapt (After the Quake - Haruki Murakami)

- Holding "shift" rewinds your dreams - this helps relieve the nightmares of dissertation. (Braid)

- Exercise your brain with a little problem-solving every now and then. (Freecell, Sudoku, Winterbottom, Braid)

I would highly recommend finding some good but controllable distractions for when you undertake your dissertations (if you haven't already). Sometimes you just need a good break and what better place to go than another world?

2 comments:

Susie said...

i admit to playing left for dead 2 also. I do not like the way that reading or games affects my dreams, I wake up and feel exhausted!

HG said...

L4D2 - really?! I'm impressed Susie.

I find myself strangely awake after a dream about dissertation, but its usually really early and not too hard to get back to sleep again. My problem is feeling tired at night and being lazy and going to bed early instead of doing work!

Post a Comment